Who is a real man? What makes a man good? Should a man be only a man of action or also a man who can give an account of himself? Is man Will to Power? Is manliness something to be overcome or something to restore?
This course traces the shifting meaning of manliness over the history of political philosophy, to help us understand today's crisis and the range of possible solutions.
Course generously commissioned by the Liminal Order.
Read and follow along
For your listening pleasure
Slides summarize the key points
Premodern, modern, and postmodern perspectives show you the big picture.
Available in days
days after you enroll
- Discussion Forum
- Introduction (10:16)
- Session 1: Courage, or Manliness (53:14)
- Session 2: Aristotle (54:45)
- Session 3: Breaking with the Classics (39:25)
- Session 4: The Second and Third Waves of Modernity (55:20)
- Session 5: The Postmodern Left (29:24)
- Session 6: The Postmodern Right? (53:20)
- Session 7: Conclusion (29:03)
- Lecture Notes and Slides